Today: August 20, 2026
August 20, 2026
1 min read

Croatia’s Pension System Hit by Cyberattack: What Happened to HZMO?

Croatia’s pension system was targeted by a cyberattack on August 19, with the Croatian Pension Insurance Institute (HZMO) confirming that its HZMO Live user application was affected. The application is used by citizens to send questions and receive responses from the institution. HZMO said its security teams immediately activated the necessary security and forensic procedures. Investigators are now working to determine exactly what happened and whether personal information was accessed. However, HZMO has not confirmed that any citizen data was stolen. The institution says its core information system remains unaffected based on current findings. Pension payments and regular services are also continuing.

One of the most important details is that HZMO’s core information system was not affected, according to the institution’s findings so far. HZMO has stressed that its normal activities are continuing and that pension payments have not been interrupted. Citizens’ rights administered through the institution have also not been put at risk, according to HZMO. The incident became more serious after a hacking group known as INF Grupa claimed that it had accessed an HZMO database and obtained personal information belonging to around 105,000 Croatian citizens. The group alleged that the information included names, telephone numbers, OIB identification numbers and email addresses. However, HZMO has not confirmed these claims, and the alleged data theft remains unverified while the forensic investigation continues.

This distinction is particularly important when discussing the HZMO cyberattack. What has been confirmed is that a cyberattack affected the HZMO Live application. What has not been confirmed is whether personal information was stolen from the system. HZMO’s investigation will determine whether hackers gained access to protected data and, if so, what information may have been exposed. The institution has temporarily taken measures to safely restore the affected application while security specialists examine the incident. HZMO has said that further information will be provided no later than Friday at noon.

The cyberattack comes amid wider concerns about cybersecurity and alleged data breaches affecting Croatian institutions. Such attacks can create significant risks when systems contain sensitive information belonging to large numbers of citizens. The latest incident involving HZMO therefore highlights the importance of strong digital security for public institutions. For citizens, the most important message is that pension payments are continuing and the core information system has not been affected according to current findings. The ongoing forensic investigation should provide a clearer picture of the attack and determine whether additional security measures are necessary. Until those findings are released, the extent of any potential data exposure remains unclear.

Previous Story

Croatia Plans Major Changes to Bank Fees and ATM Charges

Latest from Blog

Go toTop